Re: When to hold Pg East

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: When to hold Pg East
Date: 2008-12-11 10:14:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 20:02:16 Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> You also might want to throw a disclaimer into the date area that voting
>>> for "Late May" would still respect the PGCon schedule.  As the second
>>> mover here, I think your only viable options here are snuggling up next
>>> to it (East on May {15/}16/17 would open an interesting combo trip
>>> possibility for long distance travellers, PHL->YYZ is a quick flight),
>>> or staying clear of that period altogether.
> PHL->YYZ might be a quick flight, but pgcon is in ottowa (aka yow), not
> toronto. (In fairness I think PHL->YOW isnt too bad, though it will make it
> harder to get a direct flight)
>> Making it back-to-back with pgCon would make things easier on speakers.
> really? for most people, first you have to work out how to get to Philly, and
> then work out how to get from there to Ottowa, and then get back to some
> place other than Philly, which makes getting arragements that much more
> difficult.  Unless east was actually in Ottowa, I think this makes things
> harder.

In a lot of cases it would. It would also mean you're away from the
office two weeks in a row, instead of two weeks with work in between.
Which may be a whole lot harder to manage.

It would help a bit with the travel time for long distance, yes, but
it's not a huge difference. And I guess it helps a little bit with the
travel cost, but again not all that much. But those are in my experience
often not the problem - the problem is being away from the office.

>>   However, it would likely decrease both attendence and sponsorships for
>> each conference.

> Amazing how that problem keeps coming up... I can't wait till jdcon gives up
> its stubborness and moves itself to the other side of the calendar...

Finding some sort of "even spread" of the dates for larger PostgreSQL
conferences would certainly be much better. Having -west right before was a bad move, IMHO. Having -east right next to pgcon would be
another one.

We have an events page on the wiki
( How about we add an indicator
(column or color) for "postgresql major" events or something (right now,
I'd list FOSDEM and pgcon on the list - but I don't know the details
about the others). That would give a good overview of how well spread
out these are...