recover or move databases

From: PJ <af(dot)gourmet(at)videotron(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: recover or move databases
Date: 2008-12-08 23:27:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to recover postgres databases from a crashed disk.
I have set up a new installation of FreeBSD 7.0 with postgresql8.3.
The old databases are accessible when the repaired disk is mounted :
/oldfsb/local/pgsql/data/base/.
How can I move these databases to the new /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/ ?
Old and new are both v. 8.3
Copying does not do it.
This seems to be one way, but it seems rather long... and complicated..
Any help would be appreciated,
PJ