Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly unregister OpenSSL callbacks when libpq is done with

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly unregister OpenSSL callbacks when libpq is done with
Date: 2008-12-08 20:49:49
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> [ still catching up on back email ]
>
> mha(at)postgresql(dot)org (Magnus Hagander) writes:
>> Properly unregister OpenSSL callbacks when libpq is done with
>> it's connection. This is required for applications that unload
>> the libpq library (such as PHP) in which case we'd otherwise
>> have pointers to these functions when they no longer exist.
>
> I find it fairly disturbing that this patch was committed with a bug
> that ensured it wouldn't even compile for the case of SSL and
> THREAD_SAFETY both enabled.  Which one would think would have been
> the primary case to test.  Would anyone like to reassure us why this
> patch shouldn't just be reverted in toto until it's actually been
> tested a bit?

The patch itself was tested. I applied the wrong version of the patch to
the main tree when I moved it from my testing tree to the one where I
apply it from :-( (which was configured without thread-safety)

That part was also included in the part of the patch that was tested by
the PHP guy who originally reported the problem.

//Magnus