Pootle server request

From: Diego Gil <diego(dot)gil(at)maipucinos(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-es-fomento(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Pootle server request
Date: 2008-12-07 02:32:37
Lists: pgsql-es-fomento pgsql-www

Hi,

Mi name is Diego Gil and I am a member of Argentina and Latinoamerica
PostgreSQL comunity. We feel the need to have docs translated to spanish
(castillian) and are organizing a translation team for that purpose.
There are some individual efforts already and we are talking about
working together to avoid loosing what is done. Our main concern is
about maintainability of translations, to avoid having a translation
that is difficult to keep updated, as have been in the past.

From talks with Alvaro Herrera and David Fetter, it seems that a very
good option is to implement a Pootle server to coordinate all the
translations efforts and have some tools designed to help keeping
translations updated. While initially is for spanish translations, the
same infrastructure could be quickly used by other foreing comunities.

In that context, it would be very useful, and that is what we are
requesting, for us to have a Pootle server implemented under
postgresql.org domain, maybe pootle.postgresql.org,
translations.postgresql.org or whatever you think could be better.
Pootle is a python application used to coordinate the translation
efforts of several open source applications and projects. Basically, it
works with .po files. We are thinking to use po4a to make the "original
sgml" --> "po" --> "translated sgml "converts.

Having a Pootle server could ease the translation of postgresql
applications captions too, because the po translations could be done
online, without having to download any file.

We will be very happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks in advance !.

Regards,
Diego Gil.