Re: Install question on Mac Leopard Server 10.5

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Steve Henry <steve(at)sdmacit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install question on Mac Leopard Server 10.5
Date: 2008-11-30 02:52:02
Lists: pgsql-general
Steve Henry wrote:
> I am just getting started with PostgreSQL.  I've installed PostgreSQL
> 8.3.5-1 on a MacPro server running Leopard Server 105.5
>
> I can connect to the database with PGAdmin on the server, but I can't
> access the database from another Mac on my network.  I get the following
> error message:
>
> I've done the following:
>
>     - checked the postgresql.conf file for listen_addresses, it's set to
> '*'

This will most likely be fine unless you have a complex network setup

>     - modified the pg_hba.conf file to allow traffice from the network
> in my office.

You will find pg_hba.conf in the data folder. You need a line in this
file that allows connections from your clients ip addresses something like -

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

host     all     all     192.168.1.0/24         md5

The file itself has plenty of info.

>     - made sure my OS X Server Firewall has a hole for the port to be used.

If you have missed this then you need to open port 5432 on your firewall.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz