Re: COPY with a variable path

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: 'PostgreSQL' <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY with a variable path
Date: 2008-11-27 23:25:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27/11/2008 23:09, Bill Todd wrote:
> Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

>> You could write a pl/pgsql function which constructs the query as a
>> string and then runs it with EXECUTE.

> According to the PostgreSQL help file EXECUTE is used to execute a
> prepared statement. I tried that but when I call PREPARE with COPY as
> the statement I get an error. Are you saying that I can also use EXECUTE as

Sorry, Bill, I wasn't clear enough - I was suggesting writing a pl/pgsql
function something like this (not tested):

create function do_copy(path text) returns void
as
$$
begin
execute 'copy your_table from ' || filepath;
return;
end;
$$
language plpgsql;

EXECUTE in pl/pgsql is different from the version you refer to
above....here it is in the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie