Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775

From: Marc Schablewski <ms(at)clickware(dot)de>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775
Date: 2008-11-27 09:49:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I think both approaches (checksum and write protection) might contribute
to finding this bug. If pages with bogus data but correct checksum are
ever found on disk, I think this would prove that there is no hardware /
file system / os issue.

If an access violation resulting from writes to locked pages were hit,
would it be possible to log a stack backtrace?

Especially on our test systems we can easily afford any performance
degradations resulting from this.

Question: Who is responsible for maintaining this part (buffer cache
maintenance, writer etc) of postgres code?
Could you provide the necessary patches?

Thanks in advance

Thomas Goerner
Marc Schablewski