Re: Vacuum Problems

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Problems
Date: 2008-11-26 14:26:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Rafael Domiciano wrote:

Hei

> I need some help or just some hints. I am having problems with vacuum
> full in one table only: "clifatura".
> That table has today around 7 million rows.

How big is the database?

> I scheduled on the server a cron job to run VACUUM FULL every day at 23
> P.M, but on the following day, at 8 A.M. vacuum is yet working on
> "clifatura"; so I have to kill vacuum.

Do you have any locks in this table/database that prevent the vacuum to
be started?

Why do you use VACUUM FULL everyday? This will lock your database until
it finish. I can count with one hand the times we had to run vacuum full
in our systems in the last 6 years.

Use a normal vacuum analyze if 'autovacuum' is not enough for you.

--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/