Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Alexandra Nitzschke <an(at)clickware(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775
Date: 2008-11-20 11:33:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Alexandra Nitzschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we encountered the following error while inserting a record into a table:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: could not read block 77 of
> relation 1663/16385/388818775: read only 0 of 8192 bytes

This is probably a problem with your disk or filesystem. Have you
checked your disks and file system, checked your system logs for disk
errors, made sure your RAID array is in good condition, etc?

You should be able to fix it by REINDEXing the problem index. You can
find out which index it is from pg_catalog, though if you just REINDEX
the table(s) being operated on by the query that should work too.

Consider making a copy of your database and your log files before you
REINDEX in case one of the developers thinks it might actually be caused
by a PostgreSQL bug and wants to have a look.

--
Craig Ringer