Re: UPDATE and DELEte with a lot of register is to slow...

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: John Dizaro <jedsoftware(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE and DELEte with a lot of register is to slow...
Date: 2008-11-20 11:29:55
Lists: pgsql-sql
John Dizaro wrote:
> I have   to execute some times an UPDATE  an some times a DELETE  to
> register +- 50000  , every time when i do that  the database  be  to slow
> do we any way to DELETE or UPDATE by part???

I'm not sure your post really contains enough information to answer your
question.

If you are having problems with slow DELETEs, could it be a problem with
a foreign key that lacks an index on the referencing (rather than
referenced) column?

What do you mean by "to register 50000" ? Do you mean "affecting 50,000
rows" ?

Just how slow do you mean? Is the problem that the UPDATE or DELETE
takes a long time, or that it slows down other queries?

--
Craig Ringer