Re: [Q] PDO use to bind arrays for insert

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: V S P <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Q] PDO use to bind arrays for insert
Date: 2008-11-16 21:41:57
Lists: pgsql-php

V S P wrote:
> Hi,
> I appologize in advance, if this is not the right place
> to ask (but I would appreciate then a pointer where I could ask)
>
> I am using PHP 5.2.6 and Postgres 8.3 both on windows right now.
>
> Wanted to know if there is a way to pass via PDO (because
> that's how I connect now to Postgres)
>
> an array of values to insert at once
>
> for example:
>
> I have a PHP class:
>
> cwork
> $work_id;
> $work_desc;
>

> I have, say, an array of 50 objects of type cwork
>
> arr_work
>
> I would like to insert all items in the array at once
> so that I would do one trip to the database.

PDO doesn't let you send multiple queries in the one request.

Since you're connecting to postgres, you can use this to do a bulk-insert:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-put-line.php

Though it's not part of pdo, and also postgres 'copy from stdin' is all
or nothing - so if you have one line of bad data in there, none of it's
committed.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/