Measuring degredation of CLUSTER INDEX operation

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Measuring degredation of CLUSTER INDEX operation
Date: 2008-11-10 19:54:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

I've got a table for which "CLUSTER tablename USING index" makes an
order of magnitude difference.

Are there ways to determine how "unclustered" this table becomes over
time, so I can schedule downtime to recluster? I could use the pg_stat
tables, but this seems awkward.

-Bryce

NB: For manual optimization work, it would be handy to have a feature in
"ANALYZE VERBOSE" which gives a measure from 0-100%, right next to the
"rows examined". 100% would be an optimally clustered result. 0% would
be every row came from a distinct block on disc.

Related links:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-cluster.html
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/10-How-does-CLUSTER-ON-improve-index-performance.html