Re: server space increasing very fast but transaction are very low

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: prakashr2n5(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server space increasing very fast but transaction are very low
Date: 2008-11-06 11:04:30
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

1. Don't email people directly to start a new thread (unless you have a
support contract with them of course).

2. Not much point in sending to two mailing lists simultaneously. You'll
just split your responses.

brahma tiwari wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My database server db01 is on linux environment and size of base
> folder increasing very fast unexpectedly(creating renamed files of 1
> GB in base folder like 1667234568.10) details as below

These are the files containing your tables / indexes.
When a file gets larger than 1GB the file gets split and you get .1, .2 etc
on the end)

> what is significance of these files and how can i avoid it.can i
> delete these renamed files from base folder or any thing else. Please
> help

NEVER delete any files in .../data/base.

Since these files all seem to have the same number they are all the same
object (table or index). You can see which by looking in pg_class.
You'll want to use the number 1662209326 of course.

=> SELECT relname,relpages,reltuples,relfilenode FROM pg_class WHERE
relfilenode=2336591;
relname | relpages | reltuples | relfilenode
---------+----------+-----------+-------------
outputs | 3 | 220 | 2336591
(1 row)

This is the table outputs on mine which occupies 3 pages on disk and has
about 220 rows. You can find out the reverse (size of any table by name)
with some useful functions:
select pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size('my_table_name'));

I'm guessing what you've got is a table that's not being vacuumed
because you've had a transaction that's been open for weeks.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd