Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2008-10-30 15:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris napsal(a):
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:
>> Please, DO NOT MOVE position of page version in PageHeader structure! And
>> PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION should be bump to 5.
>
> Umm, any in-place upgrade should be capable of handling changes to the
> page header.  Of, did I miss something significant in the in-place
> upgrade design?

Not any change. If you move page header version field to another position it
will require kind of magic to detect what version it is. Other field you can
place everywhere :-), but do not touch page version. It will brings a lot of
problems...

	Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql