Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Niklas Johansson <niklas(at)codecraft(dot)se>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-29 23:04:16
Lists: pgsql-general
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> I use postgresql on MBP, current head, for testing and development. Just
> from sources, it won't bite :)
>
> you just have to add user postgres to your system, place $PGDATA
> wherever you feel you should, and you're done.

Yes.  I actually started using Nix from Slackware.  Which means, by
definition, installation from scratch is "trivial".  I can see the value
in doing an installation on your own because you do have absolute
control over the version/options of the packages.

I guess my reluctance against compiling is that I have little interest
in tuning development box and going through the nuances of
configuration.  And as such -- plug & chug seems easy.

I think I found my answer though -- DIY.  It's the control and knowing I
  have all the binaries and source code I need to.  now, wish me luck!
I might be back on the list really soon...

:)

- Tom