Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!

From: Julius Stroffek <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dano Vojtek <danielkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!
Date: 2008-10-29 18:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Simon,

>> He is going to do some investigation in the methods and
>> write down the possibilities and then he is going to implement
>> something from that for PostgreSQL.
>>

> When will this work be complete? We are days away from completing main
> work on 8.4, so you won't get much discussion on this for a few months
> yet. Will it be complete in time for 8.5? Or much earlier even?

The first guess is that the work will be done for 8.6. Dano is supposed
to finish the work and defend his thesis in something a bit more than a
year.
> Julius, you don't mention what your role is in this. In what sense is
> Dano's master's thesis a "we" thing?

I am Dano's mentor and we have a closed contact with Zdenek as well. We
would like the project to become a "we" thing as another reason why to
work on the project. It seems to be better to research some ideas at the
begging and discuss the stuff during development than just individually
writing some piece of code which could be published afterwards.
Especially, when this area seems to be of interest of more people.

Cheers

Julo