Re: Piping CSV data to psql when executing COPY .. FROM STDIN

From: Allan Kamau <allank(at)sanbi(dot)ac(dot)za>
To: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Piping CSV data to psql when executing COPY .. FROM STDIN
Date: 2008-10-28 13:11:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Sam, I have been unable to understand your shell script well enough to
use it. Seems am slow this afternoon :-)

On this list I saw a message detailing using copy as illustrated below
(see <code/>)when I run this command I get the following output (see
<output/>)

<output>
COPY abc FROM STDIN WITH CSV HEADER;
\.
1 qrst a
2 zvy b
</output>

As you can see the ./ is placed a the top instead of the bottom of the
output. The does create some error when I run this output via psql.
I then get a datatype error when I pass to psql the following (edited)
sql from a text editor (see <sql/>)

<sql>
COPY abc FROM STDIN WITH CSV HEADER;
1 qrst a
2 zvy b
\.
</sql>

The error reads as follows
<output2>
psql:sql/some2.sql:7: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "1
qrst a"
CONTEXT: COPY item_major, line 1, column id: "1 qrst a"
</output2>

<code>
\echo 'COPY abc FROM STDIN WITH CSV HEADER;'
COPY
(
SELECT * FROM abc
)