Re: support for embedded db and a clustered index?

From: Paul Bohme <paul(dot)bohme(at)brivo(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Julian Bui <julianbui(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: support for embedded db and a clustered index?
Date: 2008-10-26 14:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>> Also, can pgsql be embedded in an application? By that I mean it is easily
>> deployable with an application.
>>

> Not really the same thing. PostgreSQL is not embeddable in the
> classic sense, and if you need an embedded database, look at SQLLite.

>> I do NOT mean
>> a db that runs on an embedded device (although I am hoping pgsql has a small
>> memory footprint) and I also do NOT mean to ask if pgsql supports embedded
>> sql.
>>

> PostgreSQL is not optimized for small memory or disk footprint, it is
> optimized for using more memory and being fast and reliable. I think
> you might want SQLLite for this job.

I would second the recommendation for SQLite. Am using it extensively
in an embedded application with reasonably low constraints (32M of RAM
and flash) and have nothing but good to say about it. (I find that its
C API kicks the tar out of Postgres' API, for usability/friendliness
btw. ;-)

Different tools for different jobs..

-P

--
Paul Bohme | Chief Technologist
Brivo Systems LLC | 4330 East-West Highway Suite 250 Bethesda, MD 20814