June meeting recap!

From: gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: June meeting recap!
Date: 2009-06-21 19:30:00
Lists: pdxpug

Hi all!

For those of you who weren't at the BoF on Thursday:

6 regulars, a new person, and a couple of out-of-towners (Josh B and
Michael "Tuba" Brewer) were in attendance. Josh B gave us a quick
overview of 8.4. 293 (or 297!) new features. In addition to the big
stuff (like windowing functions) there are a ton of little
administrative tweaks. I am particularly excited about the new
functionality of \df - displays only user-defined fuctions.

Announcements:
PgDay is Saturday Sept 19 in Athens, GA! Make your plans now.

Michael Brewer highly recommends the use of a tuba as a booth prop.
Ask him to tell you the story.

Selena & I are working on PostgreSQL equivalents for the queries in
Stephan Faroult's _Refactoring SQL Applications_:
http://www.baconandtech.com/2009/06/06/book-review-part-i-refactoring-sql-applications-with-bonus-queries/

I was disappointed to learn that TrustTheVote is running on MySQL.
Granted, it's an improvement over current voting software, but maybe
we want to talk to them about running on a different, say, more
elephantine database?

Future plans:
Josh told us about the patch review process. You don't have to be able
to read C! If you can read the spec, apply the patch, verify that it
works, proof the docs - you can be a reviewer! All you need to do is
write a little report. Webb suggested PDXPUG have a patch review party
- sounds like a great idea to me! Also sounds like something we might
want to have a weekend meeting to do; I don't think 2 hours would be
enough time to be productive. Who's in?

gabrielle