Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas OSB sIT <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>, Charlie Savage <cfis(at)savagexi(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED
Date: 2008-10-15 13:16:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
>> The reason it should be in the Global namespace is that shmem is one part of
>> detecting an existing postmaster. Especially in situations where the db is started
>> by hand, the protection against duplicate startup is important.
>>

> Yeah, as Magnus reminded me.

IMNSHO we need to find a different exclusion mechanism that isn't as
cumbersome and surrounded by caveats as this one.

The buildfarm also uses an exclusion mechanism, based on Perl's flock(),
and it's a simple one line call. AFAIK that works just fine on Windows
(I will double check). If so, we should possibly look at how Perl does
that on Windows.

cheers

andrew