Re: PSQLException - How to Identify Type?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Ryan Daniels <ryan(dot)daniels(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PSQLException - How to Identify Type?
Date: 2008-10-15 07:09:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Ryan Daniels wrote:
> Hello,
> When I get a PSQLException, how do I identify which type it is? I need
> to be able to distinguish which error occurred.

Have a look at the JDBC documentation, in particular the documentation
for SQLException.

Note the getErrorCode() and getSQLState() members?

The error code is usually quite sufficient for program flow control and
error handling decisions. See the PostgreSQL error code documentation:

Note that you can match error codes by class (the first byte) as well as
by exact error code. As a result, you can easily do things like "Retry
the transaction on all possibly tansient errors" in quite a generic way.

The documentation for PSQLException shows you how to get information
from it, too:

it provdes getServerErrorMessage(), which returns about as much as you'd
ever want to know:

Craig Ringer