Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?

From: Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vd(at)valan(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?
Date: 2008-10-13 10:24:08
Lists: pgsql-general

>> So, is it true that as of Postgresql 8.3 there is no way to have a
>> pgpqsql function return multiple SELECTs?

> it's true.

Thank you for the definite answer, Pavel :)

I came across a blog post of yours (
http://okbob.blogspot.com/2007/11/stacked-recordset-multirecordset.html
) as well as several list posts indicating that multiple result sets
might be in the working. Should I check the situation again when 8.4 is
released?

> You can use setof cursors instead.

Cursors, unfortunately, look cumbersome in this situation and will break
the existing API (all transactions encapsulated within SPs, clients
allowed to do CALL only). Anyway, thanks everyone for the cursors tip :)

Vladimir

--
Vladimir Dzhuvinov * www.valan.net * PGP key ID AC9A5C6C