Re: Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely

From: Bastiaan Olij <lists(at)basenlily(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely
Date: 2008-10-07 22:06:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Josh,

*edit* sorry if anyone receives this double, something went wrong sending it.

That sorta pointed me in the right direction. Netstat reveils that my
copy of Postgresql is indeed only listening on 127.0.0.1:5432.
I changed my listen_address to the IP of my PC and restarted postgresql
but its still only listening on 127.0.0.1.

So I decided to change some other settings and see what happened. I
changed the port to 5431 and changed the log file to another name.
Neither of these changes where applied after restarting Postgres.

And then I went like FRAG!

I was changing the configuration files using PGadmin. Postgres is
installed in program files. Due to the lovely new nature of vista, any
files you change in either program files or in the windows directory,
while not running as admin (even if you are a friggen administrator) get
copied into your hidden "AppData\Local\VirtualStore\" subfolder in your
users data folder.
So I ended up editing the config files in this folder, while Postgres
was still reading the original (or maybe worse yet, reading a copy in
the postgres users's data folder, but I don't think thats the case, I
can't check it but since the log files are being created in program
files I'm assuming Vista is not that dumb).

I removed the files in the virtual store and started PGadmin by
rightclicking on it and selecting 'Run as administrator". This ensure
PGadmin did not do its little magician trick. Changed both files properly.

I then created dummy files in the virtual store so if I try and edit
them by starting pgadmin directly, I'd know right away because they show
up empty.

So to all Vista users out there, be very careful of this behaviour in
Vista!!

> > Well, you sound like you know what you're doing, but let's cover
> > basics. What is listen_address set to in postgresql.conf? Port? Have
> > you restarted postgresql since you made the changes you discussed?
> > Does netstat tell you something's listening on that port? Does
> > postgresql log anything now that you get a quick rejection instead of
> > a long timeout? Hope this helps some...
> >
> > - Josh / eggyknap

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
e-mail/MSN: bastiaan(at)basenlily(dot)nl
web: http://www.basenlily.nl
Skype: Mux213
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bastiaanolij