Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2008-10-01 09:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera napsal(a):

> This code would be run-time or compile-time configurable.  I'm not
> absolutely sure which yet; the problem with run-time is what to do if
> the user restarts the server with the setting flipped.  It would have
> almost no impact on users who don't enable it.

I prefer runtime configuration. Solaris has two filesystems UFS, ZFS.
ZFS offers strong error detection and a another CRC is overhead. You
need mechanism how to enable this feature on UFS and disable on ZFS. I
suggest to have it as tablespace property and for default tablespace you
can setup it in initdb phase.

		Zdenek