Re: MySQL to Postgresql schema conversion

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL to Postgresql schema conversion
Date: 2008-09-30 23:16:24
Lists: pgsql-general
Sean Davis wrote:
> There are a number of mysql to postgresql converters available, but
> many of them have significant shortcomings.  Has anyone found a tool
> that works well?  I am trying to convert a couple of relatively large,
> public schema to postgresql.

I couldn't find anything either but ended up using a pretty simple approach:

- table only dump from mysql (ie no data)
- convert is using sed/perl/whatever takes your fancy
- do a "csv" type dump from mysql (select into outfile) (1/3 of the way
down on http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/select.html).
- use "copy" to import the data into postgres
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-copy.html)

That of course assumes you don't have to do any data munging in the
middle (eg different formats for date/time fields).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/