Re: turning of pg_xlog

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Jonny <blubb(at)terminalschmiede(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: turning of pg_xlog
Date: 2008-09-30 18:13:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jonny wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installes Postgres 8.0.15 on a embedded Linux and have only 130
> MB for Postgres.
> Is it possible to turn off the comlete (Wal) pg_xlog? Because this is
> the biggest part.
> I found an Entry how to minimize the count of stored xlogs.
> Is it possible to store it  to /dev/null or something else?
> Something like ln -s /dev/null  pg_xlog/ (I know this does not work
> :-) ....
You should also understand that if you set checkpoint_segments to a
small number, its still possible that PostgreSQL might use more than
that number for a large transaction.  As such, be careful about limiting
the space available to your xlogs, lest it cause transactions to fail
due to insufficient space for the xlogs.

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560