Re: turning of pg_xlog

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Jonny <blubb(at)terminalschmiede(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: turning of pg_xlog
Date: 2008-09-30 18:13:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jonny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installes Postgres 8.0.15 on a embedded Linux and have only 130
> MB for Postgres.
> Is it possible to turn off the comlete (Wal) pg_xlog? Because this is
> the biggest part.
> I found an Entry how to minimize the count of stored xlogs.
> Is it possible to store it  to /dev/null or something else?
> Something like ln -s /dev/null  pg_xlog/ (I know this does not work
> :-) ....
You should also understand that if you set checkpoint_segments to a
small number, its still possible that PostgreSQL might use more than
that number for a large transaction.  As such, be careful about limiting
the space available to your xlogs, lest it cause transactions to fail
due to insufficient space for the xlogs.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.