Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql

From: Denis Gasparin <denis(at)edistar(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-30 13:51:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane ha scritto:
> Denis Gasparin <denis(at)edistar(dot)com> writes:
>
>> I'm evaluating to issue the drop_caches kernel command (echo 3 >
>> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) in order to free unused pagecache, directory
>> entries and inodes.
>>

> Why in the world would you think that's a good idea?
>
> regards, tom lane

We see cached memory growing on constant base, even if there are no
connections to database.

We have some tables that are truncated and reloaded with updated data on
regular basis (3,4 days).

It seems like postgres or the operating system (linux) is keeping in
cache that old data even if it has been deleted.

We're searching a way to free that memory without shutting down pgsql.

Thank you for your help,
Denis