Missing results from scroll cursor in PostgreSQL 8.3.3?

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Missing results from scroll cursor in PostgreSQL 8.3.3?
Date: 2008-09-25 15:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi there,

Following up a report on the PostGIS bugtracker (also submitted to
pgsql-bugs here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-09/msg00086.php), I'm
wondering if there is a bug in the way that GiST indexes interact with
scroll cursors.

I've managed to reproduce the bug using btree_gist rather than PostGIS
and have attached a test case for review. The key point is that if a
GiST index is used to pull results from a scroll cursor then "FETCH
ABSOLUTE X" fails to return any rows. I'm wondering if it could be
related to the fact the GiST indexes are not ordered? Perhaps the only
thing that is wrong is that a suitable ERROR message is missing?

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland
http://www.siriusit.co.uk

Next:From: Greg SmithDate: 2008-09-25 15:42:03