Re: PostgreSQL future ideas

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: "'PGSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date: 2008-09-25 08:54:05
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Gevik Babakhani napsal(a):
> Dear PG hackers,
>
> Has there been any idea to port PG to a more modern programming language
> like C++? Of course there are some minor obstacles like a new OO design,
> this being a gigantic task to perform and rewriting almost everything etc...
> I am very interested to hear your opinion.

Firebird did it 5 years ago. They of course use only small part of C++
and they could do that because they takeover source code and they
started to clean a code.

Advantage of C++ is that it reduce lot of OO code written in C in
postgresql, but it is so big effort to do that without small gain. It
will increase number of bugs. Do not forget also that C++ compiler is
not so common (so good) on different platforms. If somebody interesting
in that yes but like a fork ( PostgreSQL++ :-).

Better idea is to start to use C99 in postgreSQL ;-).

		Zdenek