Re: Debian packages for Postgres 8.2

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Joris Dobbelsteen <joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian packages for Postgres 8.2
Date: 2008-09-25 06:41:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> As a matter of policy, backports are made from Debian testing. Continued
> maintenance of PG 8.2 packages is not really backporting, since there is
> nothing to backport from.

While that's certainly true, I think there's enough of a reason for an
exception. Otherwise the efforts to backport any newer Postgres major
version could be saved entirely, because you never known if it suddenly
ceases from testing and backports.

So, please, either decide to backport a Postgres major version and
continue to update it even if it gets dropped from testing *or* don't
backport it at all.

Regards

Markus Wanner