Re: Proposal: move column defaults into pg_attribute along with attacl

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Proposal: move column defaults into pg_attribute along with attacl
Date: 2008-09-23 09:07:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Yah.  However, I started to look at doing this and immediately hit a
> stumbling block: we need a representation in pg_depend for a column's
> default expression (as distinct from the column itself).

Just to understand the issue here: what's the reason for having an OID
for the default value and possible another one for a ACLs, but none for
the attribute itself?

Why don't we just have a unique OID for pg_attribute (i.e. drop the
BKI_WITHOUT_OIDS of pg_attribute) and merge in the default values and ACLs?

Regards

Markus Wanner