Re: Requesting LAPUG Speakers for Next Year

From: Charles Wyble <charles(at)thewybles(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Requesting LAPUG Speakers for Next Year
Date: 2008-09-22 17:11:54
Lists: lapug
Richard Broersma wrote:
> We have open slots for speakers starting January of 2009.

Fantastic and scary at the same time! :) I know as I have been actively
involved with the leadership of numerous user groups in Southern
California, and booking speakers is both easy and difficult. The easy
part is finding people for a topic. The hard part is figuring out topics
people want speakers on. :)
>  I would
> like to open an invitation to anyone that would like to present
> something PG or DB related to LAPUG.

I would be willing to present in February on using geospatial data in
Postgresql (including data loading and client tools) if anyone is
interested in that?
>   Perhaps we could even try our
> hand at having lightning talks were several volunteers give a 5 minute
> discussion on a particular subject.

Yes. That would be incredibly cool! More and more groups I am involved
with have been taking this approach lately with great success.
> I look for to hearing from you!
>
> Also,  I would like to start a dialog regarding meeting nights.  Would
> anyone like to proposed having meetings on nights other than Fridays?

I am ok with Friday nights but not opposed to other nights. Just be
aware of potentially conflicting group meetings. See

http://la.garysguide.org/
http://www.lageeks.org/

for details on other events.

I think Wednesday is pretty safe with no conflicts.

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com