Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Date: 2008-09-15 14:25:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Craig James:
>
>>> There are some run-time environments which allocate huge chunks of
>>> memory on startup, without marking them as not yet in use.  SBCL is in
>>> this category, and also the Hotspot VM (at least some extent).
>> I stand by my assertion: It never makes sense.  Do these
>> applications allocate a terrabyte of memory?  I doubt it.
>
> SBCL sizes its allocated memory region based on the total amount of
> RAM and swap space.  In this case, buying larger disks does not
> help. 8-P

SBCL, as Steel Bank Common Lisp? Why would you run that on a server machine alongside Postgres? If I had to use SBLC and Postgres, I'd put SBLC on a separate machine all its own, so that it couldn't corrupt Postgres or other servers that had to be reliable.

Are you saying that if I bought a terrabyte of swap disk, SBLC would allocate a terrabyte of space?

Craig