Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Mickey Shekdar <support(at)EF-USA(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgres general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-09-15 04:32:06
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

>> [1] Will PostgreSQL perform better on Linux or Windows OS
>
> The performance is better on Linux, last but not least because
> it is developed and thus optimized there much longer then it
> is natively available for windows. Also system management is a lot
> more easy on unix like systems.

There are also a lot more PostgreSQL developers and users interested in
UNIX systems. While there appear to be lots of PostgreSQL users on
Windows now they don't seem to be very frequent contributors,
particularly active on the mailing lists, etc.

That's going to reduce the rate of PostgreSQL's improvement on Windows,
especially given how generally unpleasant the platform is to develop on*.

>> [2] What is the best RAID configuration/number of dives you recommend
>
> You should ask the vendor of your web booking engine, it really depends
> much on the nature of the transactions. Also have a look in the archive
> of the "postgresql general" - list, which is also much more appropriate
> then this list here.

The appropraite setup also depends on your controller's performance
characteristics, your particular workload, etc. If things are busy
enough you might even want to look at using tablespaces to split busy
tables on to separate volumes.

* Except Visual Studio's debugger, which I use a lot when I encounter
wacky problems in C++ code. gdb is OK for C, but awful for C++. It often
seems to be necessary to have two systems - a Linux one for valgrind and
everything else, plus a Windows one for VC++'s debugger.

--
Craig Ringer