Re: [HACKERS] TODO item: Implement Boyer-Moore searching (First time hacker)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: 'Peter Eisentraut' <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] TODO item: Implement Boyer-Moore searching (First time hacker)
Date: 2008-09-04 22:31:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

After reading the wikipedia article on Boyer-Moore search algorithm, it
looks to me like this patch actually implements the simpler
Boyer-Moore-Horspool algorithm that only uses one lookup table. That's
probably fine, as it ought to be faster on small needles and haystacks
because it requires less effort to build the lookup tables, even though
the worst-case performance is worse. It should still be faster than what
we have now.

The skip table really should be constructed only once in
text_position_start and stored in TextPositionState. That would make a
big difference to the performance of those functions that call
text_position_next repeatedly: replace_text, split_text and text_to_array.

--
Heikki Linnakangas