Re: RAISE NOTICE format in pgAdmin

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Bill Todd <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>, Postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RAISE NOTICE format in pgAdmin
Date: 2008-09-02 14:37:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill Todd wrote:
> If I have a series of RAISE NOTICE 'xxx' statements in a plpgsql
> function and I call the function from pgAdmin the notice messages are
> concatenated on a single line on the Messages tab. Is there any way to
> get each message to appear on a separate line?
>
> Is there a better way than using RAISE NOTICE to debug functions?
>
> Bill

Bill,
Make sure you are on at least version 8.2 (8.3 is preferred) and use a
plpgsql debugger. Later versions of Pgadmin have one built in and a
stand alone version is available from:
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/debugger_client_announce (built with
Delphi)

If you are using the win32 version there is a option at the end of the
installer script to install the debugger part. On 8.2 or 8.3 you will
need to install it yourself.
Please see: http://pgfoundry.org/projects/edb-debugger/

Hope that helps.

Tony Caduto