Opinion from experts

From: Yogesh Sharma <ysharma(at)catprosystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Opinion from experts
Date: 2008-09-01 17:57:31
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello Experts,

We are using postgres for one of our application. Currently using
Postgres 8.3 with CentOS 5.3 x86_64

We are using inherited tables. Base table has 3 columns:
entry_date timestamp with time zone
name    text
value    text
pk is timestamp

data tables are derived from this base table with constraint on year
month table_id
days    table_id
1-7    1
8-14     2
15-21    3
 >= 22    4
data tables are created pre-created before start of month
data_table_<year>_<mm>_<table_id>

No updates or delete will ever occur on data table except during purge
we will dump full table and drop it, inserting ~30 million per day
(every couple second data is loaded using copy statement).

What are the recommendation for vacuum / auto vacuum and statistics
generation ? Does vacuum on postgres catalog tables is enough to
overcome oid rollover or any other measures I have to take ?

Thanks,
YS

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Obe, ReginaDate: 2008-09-02 12:40:59
Subject: Re: How to save a image file in a postgres data field.
Previous:From: Steve TDate: 2008-09-01 13:54:17
Subject: Re: Max OID