Re: Problem escaping, nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal

From: Warren Bell <warren(at)clarksnutrition(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem escaping, nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal
Date: 2008-08-19 00:36:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Warren Bell wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem with escaping characters after upgrading to
>> 8.3. I have changed the postgresql.conf file to contain:
>>
>> standard_conforming_strings = on
>>
>> I do not get the error:
>>
>> nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal
>>
>> anymore but now I am having a problem escaping certain characters
>> like the apostrophe \'. I am now getting the following error:
>>
>> syntax error at or near "S" at character 282
>>
>> that is referring to an apostrophe in an insert statement.
>>
>> I am not escaping this character in my code. I am assuming that the
>> driver is escaping it. I am using the postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar as
>> the driver.
>>
>> I see that you can escape by doing E'Joe\'s', but how do I get this
>> to work without going through my code and shouldn't this be done by
>> the driver.
>>

> Could you send a short code sample for your problem?
> It would make it easier for me to look.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

I ended up going back to PostgreSQL version 8.1. I did not have the time
to work everything out.

I am using Ibatis and the prepared statement that was being used was
something like:

INSERT INTO tabel (somestringfield) VALUES (?)

the parameter that was passed was 'Joe\'s'. I also tried  E'Joe\'s'. It
did not like the escaped apostrophe. I guess Postgres 8.3 is escaping
special characters differently. It seems like this would be something
the driver would handle. How are you suppose to make this work? I will
also check with the Ibatis group on this.

--
Thanks,

Warren Bell