Re: New postgres installation

From: "H(dot) Hall" <hhall1001(at)reedyriver(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: New postgres installation
Date: 2008-08-15 19:35:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
Carol Walter wrote:
> It been suggested that I download the binary and just go from there.
> All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
> should compile source.  Would using the binary allow me to do the
> customization my site requires.  I want to put the database in it's
> original location so that faculty won't have to change they're
> instructions to students.
>
> Carol
I think that your main question is can you put PG in the directory of
your choice, if you compile.  The answer is yes.

If you look at chapter 15 of the Postgres Docs you will find this:
(here's the link:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/install-procedure.html )

15.5. Installation Procedure

Configuration

The first step of the installation procedure is to configure the source
tree for your system and choose the options you would like. This is done
by running the configure script. For a default installation simply enter

./configure

This script will run a number of tests to guess values for various
system dependent variables and detect some quirks of your operating
system, and finally will create several files in the build tree to
record what it found. (You can also run configure in a directory outside
the source tree if you want to keep the build directory separate.)

The default configuration will build the server and utilities, as well
as all client applications and interfaces that require only a C compiler.

All files will be installed under /usr/local/pgsql by default.

You can customize the build and installation process by supplying one or
more of the following command line options to configure:

--prefix=PREFIX

    Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of
/usr/local/pgsql.

    The actual files will be installed into various subdirectories; no
files will ever be installed directly into the PREFIX directory.

- - - etc etc

You might also take a look at this:
Best Practices with PostgreSQL on Solaris
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/resource/pgsol_best_practices.pdf

cheers,
HH

--