Re: New postgres installation

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New postgres installation
Date: 2008-08-14 19:34:07
Lists: pgsql-admin
Carol Walter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to do a new installation of postgres.  I have version 8.2.3 and
> I want to go to 8.3.3.  The postgres documentation says that the
> default location for the installation is /usr/local/pgsql.  My
> installation has obviously been customized because I have no such path
> on my system.  The documentation also says you can customize the
> location by including prefix = */PREFIX/* in the ./configuration file.
>  Is there a way I can tell what this customization was?  There are
> several directories that contain many of the same files.  I have
> several installations of postgres running on different servers.  If
> this is anything like everything else I've seen there, quite possibly,
> is a different customization for each server.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Carol Walter

What OS?

How do you plan to install (source?, package-manager?)

Do you need to save data from old installation?

Do you have any client applications that need testing (or is this to
test them)? There are a few changes that could bite you (changes to
automatic casting and changed cluster syntax to name a couple).

Cheers,
Steve