Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)
Date: 2008-08-14 19:10:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Bryan wrote:
> I am trying to get my little ALIX server that is running OpenBSD
> 4.4-current to run pgsql.  I've been successful in installing 8.3.3,
> and since OpenBSD uses a chrooted environment, I intend on using unix
> sockets for making database connections.  I read the man pages, ran
> "initdb -D /var/postgresql/data -U postgres -A md5 -W" and edited the
> /var/postgresql/data/postgresql.conf file to read:
> In postgresql, assuming an `admin' account has all rights:
>
> createuser -U admin --pwprompt --no-superuser --createdb --no-createrole drupal
> createdb -U drupal -E UTF8 drupal
>
> When I type the following:
>
> # createuser -U admin --pwprompt --no-superuser --createdb
> --no-createrole drupal

You are running createuser under your "root" account and root is not a
priviledged user of pgsql under OpenBSD.

1) login as the pgsql "admin" user (I think it's _postgresql; I changed
it on my system).  this was created for you if you used OpenBSD package
to install pgsql.
	# su - _postgresql
2) Issue the createuser and createdb commands from that account.