Problem escaping, nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal

From: Warren Bell <warren(at)clarksnutrition(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem escaping, nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal
Date: 2008-08-14 03:55:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
I am having a problem with escaping characters after upgrading to 8.3. I
have changed the postgresql.conf file to contain:

standard_conforming_strings = on

I do not get the error:

nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal

anymore but now I am having a problem escaping certain characters like
the apostrophe \'. I am now getting the following error:

syntax error at or near "S" at character 282

that is referring to an apostrophe in an insert statement.

I am not escaping this character in my code. I am assuming that the
driver is escaping it. I am using the postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar as
the driver.

I see that you can escape by doing E'Joe\'s', but how do I get this to
work without going through my code and shouldn't this be done by the
driver.

How do I get this all to work?

--
Thanks,