Proposal: PageLayout footprint

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal: PageLayout footprint
Date: 2008-08-11 05:06:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Current content of control file is insufficient to check if database is
compatible with postgres server. I think we should create footprint file which
will contains all page data structures and their member offset and length (and
maybe more).

As a first step which is useful at least for in-place-upgrade is footprint
switch which prints page layout structures. I attach WIP patch.

I'm thinking also to create pg_footprint view with (version, structure name,
attribute, offset, size) columns. But I'm not sure about usefulness of this
catalog (?maybe for regression tests?).

	Comments, ideas?

		Thanks Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql