Proposal: PageLayout footprint

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal: PageLayout footprint
Date: 2008-08-11 05:06:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Current content of control file is insufficient to check if database is
compatible with postgres server. I think we should create footprint file which
will contains all page data structures and their member offset and length (and
maybe more).

As a first step which is useful at least for in-place-upgrade is footprint
switch which prints page layout structures. I attach WIP patch.

I'm thinking also to create pg_footprint view with (version, structure name,
attribute, offset, size) columns. But I'm not sure about usefulness of this
catalog (?maybe for regression tests?).

	Comments, ideas?

		Thanks Zdenek

Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic