Privileges & roles

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Privileges & roles
Date: 2008-07-29 15:47:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

I'm running PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on Solaris 10.

I'm still trying to give my users the access they want without
"giving away the store".  They want to be able to create temporary
tables in a specified database.  I created a test role and a test
database.  The database has two tables.  I gave a test user temporary
access to the test database.  From another terminal session, I logged
into the database as that user and created a table.  The table
creation went fine, but the table that was created remained after I
logged out.  It was still there what I logged back in.  How do you
make a user that can only create temporary tables?

If a user has the ability to make temporary tables, must I grant them
the "reference" privileges if they want to link their temporary
tables with live tables in the database.  I really don't understand
this capability.  It seems to me that if a role has temporary ability
to create tables that should include the temporary ability to create
non-persistent keys and indices on permanent tables.

This user who has read the documentation also thinks he needs create
privileges.  If I create a schema called temp and grant him access to
it, he shouldn't need create should he?

Thank you for your time and interest,

Carol

pgsql-admin by date