Re: Weird pause when running statements

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Grant Quimby <grant_quimby(at)dialog(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird pause when running statements
Date: 2008-08-06 03:01:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Grant Quimby wrote:
> From: Oliver Jowett
> <snip>
>> First step would be to work out which half is getting stuck. Try a
>> thread dump on the Java side and a strace on the backend side.
>
> I've checked the Java side with a thread dump. As far as I can tell everything working okay. I've attached it.
>
> As for strace ... It's not connecting to the process for some reason. I'll try and find the server process condition another way. (Any suggestions? ;-)
>
>> What do you mean by "reloading the server configuration"?
>
> pg_ctl reload (via either the command line or the pgAdmin point and click).

Ok - so on the Java side everything does appear normal, it's just
waiting for a query result.

pg_ctl reload just sends a SIGHUP to the postmaster I believe, so if
that manages to wake things up it does sound like something getting
stuck on the server side rather than a driver issue.

I don't think there's much more the -jdbc list can do for you here if
it's a server-side problem, you might want to ask on -bugs? (They're
likely to want server version & platform info at a minimum)

-O