Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: arjun(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading database format on PostgreSQL 8.1 on FC6
Date: 2008-08-01 20:43:29
Lists: pgsql-novice
Arjun Datta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an older server I am trying to restore a dump onto.

A _filesystem_ dump of the PG data files of or a _PostgreSQL_ dump using
pg_dump/pg_dumpall? This sounds like a problem stemming from a
filesystem dump.

If it is a file-system dump, you will need to restore the files into the
server's data directories. The PG server version must match the major
version the file-system came from. Additionally, you will probably need
to attempt the restore onto a machine of the same architecture. Even
then, you may have problems - especially if the dump was made while PG
was running.

If you have a running version of the database somewhere you will be
better off using the pg_dump/pg_dumpall tools to do the dump (and if
migrating to a newer version of PG, use the pg_dump/pg_dumpall from the
newer PG version) then restore from that dump.

If you don't have the data in a currently functioning PG server and you
do succeed in recovering the data, do a PostgreSQL dump ASAP.

Cheers,
Steve