PITR backup & recovery.

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PITR backup & recovery.
Date: 2008-07-30 18:41:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi.

I have read the manual chapter over a couple of times. I've even done a
restore of my database and that worked fine. But I'd like to have
confirmed that it seems correct, so it didn't just work because I didn't
have any real activity on the database in my test-setup.

I have a Before Backup script that does a:

select pg_start_backup("label");

And ad After Backup script that does a:

select pg_stop_backup();

The backup just takes "everything", meaning both WAL-files and data
catalog. Runs daily incremental.

After pg_stop_backup() i do a

find /path/to/walarchive/ -type f -ctime 1 | xargs rm -rf

The data catalog is quite big..~200GB thus the inital backup of that
will take quite some time. So if there has been activity in the database
over this amount of time will it still be possible to bring the db to a
concistent state using the WAL-files?

Thanks.
--
Jesper

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jim TothDate: 2008-07-31 02:15:38