Re: pg_regress inputdir

From: Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date: 2008-07-30 08:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway wrote:
>
>> The attached patch makes pg_regress write converted files to
>> <inputdir>/sql and <inputdir>/expected, which is one way to make it read
>> and write to the same directory. Tested on Solaris x86 with pgsql "make
>> check" and standalone.
>
> I think this breaks VPATH builds in both letter and spirit.

Letter:

--------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<-------
bash-3.2$ ggrep -R "\-\-inputdir" *
src/test/regress/pg_regress.c:  printf(_("  --inputdir=DIR
take input files from DIR (default \".\")\n"));
Binary file src/test/regress/pg_regress.o matches
Binary file src/test/regress/pg_regress matches
Binary file
src/test/regress/tmp_check/install/usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgxs/src/test/regress/pg_regress
matches
--------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------8<-------

Since it is not used in PostgreSQL build (only default value - "."), I
have problems seeing how writing to e.g. "./sql/file" instead of writing
to "sql/file" could break anything. Please explain.

Spirit:

Nobody has ever accuse me of being spiritual ;-), but if you have a URI
that explains the VPATH spirit, I'd be interested to read about it.

 > Why do you need this anyway?

I tried to explain that in the first mail, but let me try again.

Use case:
Running pg_regress outside of PostgreSQL build system. pg_regress is
installed in e.g. /usr/postgres/8.3/bin/, "input", "output", "sql" and
"expected" are installed in some other path, e.g.
/usr/postgres/8.3/share/test. User is in ~ and tries to run the
PostgreSQL regression tests. It doesn't work, in fact the only way to
make it work is to cd to the parent directory of "sql" and "expected".

Today, using --inputdir in pg_regress does not work for any other value
than something that resolves to cwd, since it will write a file to
"./sql", but try to read the same file from "<inputdir>/sql".

-J
--

Jørgen Austvik, Software Engineering - QA
Sun Microsystems Database Group

http://blogs.sun.com/austvik/
http://www.austvik.net/