Re: Catalog

From: "H(dot) Hall" <hhall1001(at)reedyriver(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Catalog
Date: 2008-07-24 10:58:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
Travis Smith wrote:
> There are tools that allow you to reverse engineer schemas.. or to generate ERD's .. visio comes to mind.  It works on odbc connections.

Schema Spy is a slick tool and is free. Works well with postgres.  You
can find it at source forge:

http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/

Here is their description:

      Graphical Database Schema Metadata Browser

SchemaSpy is a Java-based tool (requires Java 1.4 or higher) that
analyzes the metadata of a schema in a database and generates a visual
representation of it in a browser-displayable format. It lets you click
through the hierarchy of database tables via child and parent table
relationships. The browsing through relationships can occur though HTML
links and/or though the graphical representation of the relationships.
It's also designed to help resolve the obtuse errors that a database
sometimes gives related to failures due to constraints.

Cheers,
HH

--
H. Hall