Re: issues/experience with building postgres on Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Martin Zaun <Martin(dot)Zaun(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp
Subject: Re: issues/experience with building postgres on Windows
Date: 2008-07-24 03:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martin Zaun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> trying to build postgres on Windows, I ran into a number of
> problems not covered by the FAQs or the PostgreSQL 8.3.3
> documentation:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/install-win32-full.html
>
> In short, it's not been an easy experience so far:
> - build errors with latest Visual Studio Express C++ 2008

Nobody ever said this was supported AFAIK. VC++ Express 2005 is the
supported compiler so far.

> - ok with VS Express 2005 but integration issues with Platform SDK

Right.

> - issues locating the 14 required software packages:
> - no luck getting Bison 1.875 or 2.2 Windows binaries

bison 1.875 is available here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&package_id=22822

> - linkage errors with the latest ActivePerl/TCL libraries

Ugh.

What would be helpful would be a build log. something like:
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=mastodon&dt=2008-07-24%20010001&stg=make
or an extract from it.

cheers

andrew